Friday, August 20, 2004

Update on my life...

I've been really busy in the office for these few weeks, partly because my unit has not obtained an updated copy of database management software that is compatible with Windows XP to assist me in my daily work. Today I am bombarded once again with task requests, and I feel so helpless and frustrated to not being able to give them what they had asked for. 3 weeks has passed since we sent our requests for the software, thus I really do hope DSTA finishes up with their software testing and grant us the access to the software soon.

After 7 months in my unit, I am certain that I am not wasting and will not waste my time in the army. Many people will hate me for this, but I have to say that life is wonderful in the army. Why do I say that? Because, I get to go home every night, except on those days that I am assigned for guard duty. No, I do not guard with a rifle. I guard in an air-conditioned lobby, while seated on a comfortable sofa and reading my favorite Popular Science magazine. On normal working days, I report for work in relaxing civilian clothing, then changing into the army uniform in the office before 8am. What I do there is classified, but what I can disclose is that it is highly related to computers and programming, which will be what I will be pursuing for my further studies after I have served my liability, and is something that I had always wanted to do. After work at 5:30pm I will change back into civilian clothing and leave for home. How fortunate, some might say. Screw you, others might say. Whatever it is, everyone has a role to play in the army, and I am playing mine to the best.

Currently, I have a few goals to achieve.

1) Go for practical lessons. I have just received a notification from the traffic police that I have passed my Basic Theory Lesson in driving, thus allowing me to apply for a provisional license such that I can drive on the road with the presence of an instructor. The next step is now for me to attend a couple of practical training lessons so that I will get used to handling a car.

2) Purchase a guitar. My brother’s classical guitar that he had bought 7 years ago has officially retired. The 4th string cannot be tuned as the tuning mechanism is damaged, and the 5th and 6th string requires a spanner to tune. Only, the first 3 strings are playable, thus I have only learnt to play Do-Re-Mi on the first 3 strings. Laughable, but at least that’s a starting point. A fully playable guitar will allow me to learn more.

3) Upgrade my C++ skills to C# level. I have learnt C++ in JC before, and since I have some free time on hand, I believe it should be spent on reading up that language.

4) Organise a class outing. It has been ages since I had an outing with my ex-secondary school classmates. Now should be a good time to get together as my former class mentor is back from his overseas further studies.

I shall focus my energy on these goals, unless something urgent crops up which require my immediate attention. Less likely though, as I am single :)

No comments: