Saturday, August 21, 2004

Go Kart!

I am on leave today, as I went go-karting with my brother and his colleagues. It is there that I knew that my brother was the winner of the race last year, and everyone was eyeing on him to win again this year. We raced in 3 separate groups, with 5 racers in each group. I was in the first group with 2 other 16-year olds who were the nephews of my brother's colleague, and 2 of my brother’s colleagues. We drove around the track with the second engine turned off during the 5 minute practice session, as it was just for us to familiarise the track. All went well during the practice, but during the time-trial session, my car spun out of control at a bend, and one of the cars just collided head on with my car, causing my bumper to fly off. It was a scary crash. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. It is not fully my fault though. The car behind me had ample time to brake and avoid crashing into me, but evidently failed to. As a result, I was not allowed to drive on the track any longer. So, I just sit around and watched the rest of the racers compete against each other, and also witnessed the my brother finish the race first.

Racing with 2 engines was neither so easy nor cheap. Even though the speed potential of the car is increased, the car handling is greatly compromised. Moreover, the price of racing in a dual engine car is $40 for 10 minutes. The cheapest price for racing is still $28 in a single engine car. Nonetheless, we all enjoyed ourselves to the fullest.

No comments: